The Taras Shevchenko Home for the Aged
The Holy Protection Chapel
Skip ahead to The Alice Mykytyshyn Memorial Award
As many of you know, our parish is affiliated with the Taras Shevchenko Home for the Aged. The Residence is located at 190-194 Gage Ave. South, directly across from Gage Park.
The Residence houses both Ukrainian and non-Ukrainian, Orthodox as well as non-Orthodox seniors. In addition to offering affordable and comfortable housing to seniors, the Residence offers a variety of services and activities. Currently the program is as follows:
- Every Thursday evening a nutritious and delicious supper is served in the dining hall at 6:00 pm. Cost: $7.00.
- The Holy Protection Orthodox Chapel is housed in the Residence. Ordinarily, on the first and third Thursdays of the month, a prayer service is held in the chapel at 4:00 pm. The Divine Liturgy and other Feast-day services are served (usually at least once a month) at 9:30 am, with confession and communion available.
- A bingo social is held every Thursday after supper from 6:00 to 8:00 pm.
- A Euchre party is held on the last Friday of each month at 7:00 pm.
- Most evenings the seniors play cards, build puzzles and socialize from 7:00 pm.
- Every Wednesday morning at 9:45 am there is an HSR bus to take residents to Fortino's at Eastgate Shopping Centre, which returns at 11:30 am. There is no charge for this service.
- There is a Tuck Shop available to the residents which is open on the last Saturday morning of each month, or upon request.
- A hair salon for both men and women operates every Friday and Saturday, as well as by request.
- There are many other seasonal activities held throughout the year, such as English and Ukrainian Christmas celebrations, Easter blessing of Paschal Foods, Thanksgiving services, Canada Day Barbecues, picnics, etc.
If you, or someone you know might be interested in living at the Residence, please feel free to contact John Mykytyshyn - President at 905-547-2414 or Fran Smith - Property Manager at 905-548-8505 or email at email@example.com.
If you are interested in helping as a volunteer, please contact John, Fr. William Makarenko, or any member of the board.
Financial support is also appreciated. 100% of your donation dollar is used for the benefit of the residents.
The Alice Mykytyshyn Memorial Award
This Award, created in 2010 in memory of Alice Mykytyshyn - a Founding Member of the Taras Shevchenko Home for the Aged - is an annual bursary of $1,000 to be awarded to a student of Ukrainian heritage who is entering a post-secondary institution in September. The student can now qualify for the award if they have not volunteered at Taras Shevchenko Home for the Aged as long as they have actively participated in programs in the Hamilton Ukrainian community. The deadline to apply is June 30th. Please click here to view the application and requirements.